Through the use of virtual viewings and online channels the group said it has received 820 gross private sales reservations in the five weeks since it closed its sites
PLC (), the UK’s largest housebuilder, said it is to re-start building work on its sites from the end of this month.
The announcement follows similar statements yesterday by rivals () and Bovis Homes owner Vistry (), which see them back on-site in the first week of May.
shut down its construction sites and sales offices on March 25 on government advice, but after a review of working practices to meet current coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines it has decided it can resume work.
In a statement, David Jenkinson, the FTSE 100-listed firm’s chief executive said: “The UK Government has been very clear on the importance of the construction sector to the UK economy and its desire to see activity continue through the current period of crisis, provided appropriate public health measures are adopted.
“Having spent the last month developing and testing new site protocols that incorporate the necessary social distancing and protective measures, we believe that we are now able to return to site safely and support the UK’s economic recovery from the pandemic.”
Jenkinson added that had kept all staff on full pay, which will enable it to re-open sites swiftly.
“The group has not made use of the Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to furlough staff, has no current plans to access any of the UK Government’s COVID-19 funding programmes and continues to pay all taxes promptly,” it said.
Persimmon pointed out that through the use of virtual viewings and online channels it had received 820 gross private sales reservations in the five weeks since it closed its sites, while cancellation rates remained at historically low levels.