The good news is that even as the COVID crisis shut the economy down and brought a halt to revenues last year, property taxes rose at a much slower rate in 2020 than they did the year before.
On average, the state’s property taxes rose 1 percent, from $8,953 to $9,112, from 2019 to 2020. By contrast, between 2018 and 2019, the average homeowner’s tax bill rose from $8,767 to $8,953, an increase of 2.12 percent.
On the list of more than 500 municipalities, Cranford came in at number 97. The two highest ranking Union County towns were Summit at 18, and Westfield at 24.
Cranford fell between Northvale and Shrewsbury:
95. Highland Park Borough, Middlesex $12,168
96. Northvale Borough, Bergen $12,102
97. Cranford Township, Union $12,088
98. Shrewsbury Borough, Monmouth $12,080
99. Millstone Township, Monmouth $12,033
100. Weehawken Township, Hudson $12,007
Number one on the list is wealthy Tavistock, a Camden County town with three large houses in it.
These were the top 20 communities in New Jersey. To see the full list, or to look at a separate list of who got the largest increases, click here: Every NJ Town’s Average Property Tax Bill In New 2021 List
Top 20 towns in New Jersey:
- Tavistock Borough, Camden $30,328
- Millburn Township, Essex $24,370
- Mountain Lakes Borough, Morris $21,625
- Tenafly Borough, Bergen $21,552
- Demarest Borough, Bergen $21,377
- Glen Ridge Borough, Essex $21,214
- Rumson Borough, Monmouth $21,153
- Alpine Borough, Bergen $21,042
- Essex Fells Borough, Essex $20,413
- Princeton, Mercer $20,352
- Montclair Township, Essex $19,963
- Mendham Township, Morris $19,794
- Mantoloking Borough, Ocean $19,304
- South Orange Village Township, Essex $19,147
- Deal Borough, Monmouth $19,117
- Upper Saddle River Borough, Bergen $18,886
- Ridgewood Village, Bergen $18,506
- Summit City, Union $18,314
- Haworth Borough, Bergen $18,270
- Saddle River Borough, Bergen $18,210
Patch Editor Tom Davis contributed reporting to this story.
Got news? Email email@example.com. Got photos? Please include express written permission from the photographer for us to use them. To be the first to get free news alerts with breaking stories in your town, or to get a free local newsletter each morning, sign up for Patch breaking news alerts or daily newsletters.